Marek Puwalski, LL.M., FCIArb – legal advisor, managing partner
- Corporate Legal Advice
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Industrial Construction & Building Projects
- Arbitration/Mediation (ADR)
- Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) in Polish companies and real estate
Marek speaks English, Portuguese, Spanish and German.
Marek Puwalski is the founding partner of Puwalscy & Partners LLP Attorneys-at-Law.
Apart from day-to-day corporate legal advice and complicated contract negotiations, he specializes in M&As, big industrial constructions projects and IT.
He is also focusing on solving related commercial disputes, in particular arbitrations and mediations linked to his area of legal expertise (together with associated litigation lawyers). Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) in London.
Marek is admitted to the Polish bar by the National Council of Legal Advisors (KR-1569).
Member of the International Bar Association (Corporate and M&A Law Committee, International Construction Projects Committee and Arbitration Committee).
Representative of Portuguese-Polish Chamber of Commerce and Spanish Chamber of Commerce in Cracow.
Education and previous employment:
Marek holds a master of laws degree from Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń (with Distinction, 1st Rank Class of 2003, 2nd best Master Thesis), a master degree in international relations from Jagiellonian University, and Legum Magister – LL.M in International Business and Commercial Law from Universidade Católica Portuguesa in Lisbon (1st Rank Class of 2008, Bank Millennium bcp scholarship).
Additionally he has completed English and European Law Continuing Education Studies at University of Cambridge (with Distinction, 1st Rank in Central and Eastern Europe, Class of 2003) and Harvard Business School M&A Executive Program (Mergers and Acquisitions: Strategy, Execution and Post-Merger Management, Harvard Business School 2018).
He also participated in mediation workshops organized by the Harvard Negotiation Institute (Harvard Law School, Cambridge) and called “Advanced Mediation Workshop: Mediating Complex Disputes” (2019).
During his legal apprenticeship Marek was employed at the leading Polish IP and IT law firm (Kuczek Maruta Legal Advisors – currently Maruta Wachta & Partners).
Additionally he completed Erasmus at Regensburg University 2001- 2002 and a professional internship at Dr. Petereit & Armbrüster Rechtsanwälte Law Firm in Mainz, Germany.
Awards and distinctions:
- Boutique Commercial Law Firm of the Year in Poland 2018 (Global Law Experts)
- Leading Commercial and Corporate Law Adviser of the Year – Poland (Acquisition International Magazine 2018)
- Boutique Commercial Law Firm of the Year in Poland 2017 (Global Law Experts)
- Magna cum laude graduate of LL.M. in International Business and Commercial Law from Universidade Católica Portuguesa in Lisbon (2008)
- Magna cum laude graduate of Law at Nicolaus Copernicus University in Toruń (2003)
- “Primus in Primis” Best Law Student National Competition 2003 (Second Rank)
- cross border acquisition of the biggest zinc mine in Montenegro by ZGH Bolesław S.A.
- cross border acquisition of a leading manufacturer of electrical steel products in Czech Republic by Stalprodukt S.A.
- numerous acquisitions in the process of pharmacy chain consolidation in Poland
- numerous mergers and acquistions in the healthcare sector (privately owned clinics and hospitals)
- numerous sales of Polish privately held companies by original owners (including IT and distribution sector)
Industrial construction and building projects
- construction of “Czajka” Waste Water Treatment Plant for the entire Warsaw city area (FIDIC YELLOW BOOK); net value: EUR 200,000,000.00 and PLN 1,151,793,155.00 PLN
- construction of the new Cell House at ZGH Bolesław S.A.; net value: around 300,000,000.00 PLN
- construction of numerous production plants and waste water treatment or sludge incineration facilities
- legal representation at the Arbitration Court of Polish Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw, Lewiatan Court of Arbitration and in proceedings under the ICC Arbitration Rules
- active mediator (with particular focus on IT and construction disputes)
- aspiring arbitrator (on the roster of all major courts of arbitration in Poland)
- member of adjudication boards under FIDIC contracts
- drafting and negotiation of numerous SaaS and waterfall contracts, for example SAP implementation in PKN Orlen S.A.
- drafting and negotiation of numerous license contracts
- drafting and negotiation of numerous system maintenance contracts, for example regarding maintenance of IT systems of Agency for Restructuring and Modernization of Agriculture (ARiMR)
- legal advice for leading international and Polish providers of software and complex IT solutions (e.g. HP, ESRI, IFS, Sygnity, GiS solution providers) and e-commerce platforms
Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) in Poland
- legal advice to foreign investors in numerous purchases of Polish companies, including joint ventures with Polish partners
- legal advice to foreign investors in numerous purchases of Polish real estates
- legal advice to foreign investors in greenfield project
Marek is a board member at ARKOP Limited – one of the leading Central European producers of feed additives and foliar fertilizers.
Author of a seminal book on privacy rights in a comparative perspective: “The Right of Public Persons to Privacy” (2003) and of publications on commercial law.
Lecturer of International Commercial Law at Cracow Chamber of Legal Advisors (2013-2015).